One of our readers recently wrote us, asking “My house used to be a grow op. Should I be worried about toxic mold?”
What to do about toxic mold in former marijuana grow houses
Your concern is a legitimate one, given that your house is a former grow op. One can imagine a home that was used to cultivate marijuana resembling a greenhouse – it’s hot and humid.
The increased humidity and moisture levels required for these operations fuel mold growth.
You see, mold needs very little in order to grow – just a food source (wood, paper, drywall, carpet or dust), the right temperature and, above all, moisture.
This means that virtually every house and building in the world has the potential to promote mold growth.
Because marijuana grow ops tend to be humid and because it takes just 24-48 hours for mold to start growing after a moisture intrusion, a marijuana grow op is usually a disaster zone.
And given that some grow houses operate for years at a time, one can only imagine the structural damage caused to the home.
How grow op mold inspections can help
So what should you do? The first thing you should do is contact a certified mold inspection company to conduct a complete assessment of your home, including any air quality testing that they deem necessary.
This inspection will help answer several important questions:
- Is there indeed mold present?
- Has the mold damaged the structural components of the building?
- What species of mold is growing in the home? Is it black mold?
- Is the indoor air quality at safe levels?
- Is it still safe to live inside the home?
- Is mold remediation needed and, if so, how much will it cost?
With Mold Busters grow op mold inspection services, you can get the answers to all of these questions and more.
But it’s hard to do without seeing the problem first. That’s why we’ve developed our FREE Mold Inspection App, which allows you to take a picture of the mold problem and send it to us for instant feedback from a certified mold inspector.
It’s never been easier. Download it today!