Questions?

FAQ: Everything You Need to Know about Mold

Comments 0 
| 2015 Oct 20 |
 Author 
FAQ:  Everything You Need to Know about Mold

I’ve discovered mold in my home. What now?

If you ever come across evidence of mold in your home, the best thing to do is call a mold inspection and removal service. There are three main reasons why:

  1. To verify that you are, in fact, dealing with mold,
  2. To locate the source of the problem, and
  3. To provide you with a safe and effective action plan for remediation.

And while you might not be crazy about the idea of calling in a professional, think about what would you do if a pipe burst in your basement or if your roof was leaking. More than likely, you’d call in a specialist like a plumber or a professional roofer for their experience, knowledge and insights. Similarly, if you have a mold problem, there’s no one better to get rid of it than a trained and certified expert.

Can’t I just get rid of the mold on my own?

If the mold infestation is mild and contained to a small area, it may be possible to safely tackle the cleanup on your own. However, it’s always recommended that you leave the removal of mold to the experts. They will have the necessary tools and safety equipment to ensure that all traces of mold are removed properly.

Many people mistakenly believe that traditional fans and store-bought blowers will be sufficient to dry a wet or flooded space and eliminate the risk of mold growth. The fact is, however, that without the right remediation equipment, the problem can persist even if the surface seems dry. Professionals come with everything necessary to dry the water and get rid of mold for good.

Can mold be prevented?

It’s not really realistic to expect that you can completely prevent mold in your home, but there are definitely steps you can take to minimize the risk of mold growth.

First, keep your home as dry and insulated as possible. Mold loves humidity, so the more arid you can keep your home environment, the more you can successfully discourage the growth of mold, according to experts at Affordable Waterproofing LLC.

What are the risks of mold in the home?

Yes, mold is unsightly and more than a little gross. But there are much bigger risks of mold. Mold can pose a variety of health risks to your family. Here are just a few examples:

  • allergies,
  • asthma,
  • chronic cough,
  • lowered immune function,
  • increased risk of some cancers,
  • trouble concentrating and other cognitive issues,
  • headaches,
  • nausea, and
  • fertility troubles.
  • If you or a family member get sick from a mold-related disease, you’ll probably have to see a specialist to deal with the issues. Depending on your symptoms, the treatment will vary from routine to more invasive.

    Where are the most common places mold will grow?

    The truth is that mold can grow virtually anywhere, but there are some spots that are more common for mold infestations. These include:

    • bathrooms,
    • kitchens,
    • basements,
    • attics,
    • carpeting,
    • windowsills, and
    • around pipes and ductwork.

    The garage is also a common place for mold growth. Be sure to check corners, under flooring and in other locations to ensure that all traces of mold have been removed. If even one spore remains after the cleaning process, the mold can return within a few days.

    Is mold always bad?

    No, mold isn’t always bad. In fact, historically mold has led to the discovery of some very important things, such as penicillin, cheese and soy sauce! However, the types of mold you find growing in your home aren’t typically the good kind. Household mold spores are dangerous, toxic and should be removed as soon as possible.

    Because of this, it’s important to frequently check potential trouble spots for mold so that you can catch the growth in its beginning stages. It’s much easier (and less expensive!) to remove a small mold infestation than it is to tackle one that has advanced.

    Is DIY mold removal safe?

    There are a number of do-it-yourselfers who likely believe their methods for getting rid of mold will work just fine; however, if mold is agitated or disturbed, dangerous spores can be released into the air and spread to other areas of the indoor environment.

    What’s more, these spores can easily get caught up in the air vents and ducts and get blown throughout the home. This presents an issue that is even more serious than just the development and growth of mold.

    Conclusion

    Household mold is very common. At one point or another, virtually every home will have some degree of mold. What’s important is to take steps to create an environment that does not promote the growth of mold and to frequently inspect trouble spots in order to catch mold before it gets too far.

    When any of these issues arise, it is essential to call for professional services. Experts will be able to inspect and evaluate your property to determine the proper course of action.

    Taking the time to find the right company for the job will also make a difference in the results that are achieved. And don’t delay if you have actually seen signs of water damage or mold–the longer you wait, the greater the damage.