Numerous studies have demonstrated the link between mold and health. While it can be hard to know whether you are being exposed to toxic black mold at home, at school or at work, the best way to find out is to listen to your body and watch out for unusual or recurrent symptoms that have no apparent cause.
Mold releases mycotoxins, which when introduced into your body, trigger reactions in your immune system that may take various forms depending on the person. As the name suggests, mycotoxins are toxic and can seriously damage your health, so mold problems should not be taken lightly.
Common health effects of mold
Different experts will likely tell you different things about mold, but one sure thing is for sure: mold exposure causes or worsens the following health conditions:
- breathing difficulties and asthma
- nausea and vomiting
- headaches and mental confusion
- skin, eye and sinus irritation
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms on a regular basis and don’t know why, you could be unknowingly exposed to mold. The next step is to contact a mold professional to take an air quality test in your home or office to determine to a certainty whether or not you have a mold problem. It may also be a good idea to meet with your doctor for more information about the link between mold and health and to receive a possible diagnosis and treatment for your symptoms.