Are you experiencing unusual symptoms at home? Do you find that you feel better when you’re not at home? Does your office smell unusual, but it’s without any visible symptoms of a problem? If yes, then there is a huge possibility that you’re facing a mold problem.
The following are tips to help you find out whether or not mold is growing in your home or workplace:
1. Keep your eyes open.
Although mold can often grow without any visible signs, many types of mold (for example, black mold or Stachybotrys chartarum) do show obvious signs (i.e. dark spots, fuzzy growth). These mold types tend to develop in areas that are moist and damp, such as in the attic or the basement.
2. The nose can sense what the eyes can’t see.
When trying to detect mold, it’s important to keep not just your eyes but also your nose open, as mold often releases a distinct and characteristic odour that’s very easy to identify. This smell can be most easily related to a musty or earthy odour. As such, odour detection can be a great tool in finding out whether or not your property is contaminated.
3. Family members experiencing sudden or recurrent respiratory problems can be a warning.
Air is one of the biggest sources of fungal contamination. This is because mold spores can easily become airborne and enter your respiratory tract upon inhalation. If you notice a sudden rise in respiratory problems among people residing or working in a building, or they’re experiencing medical conditions like rhinitis, sinusitis, allergic asthma and a stuffy nose, then there is a huge possibility that you’re regularly exposed to mold.
Mold problems can be a major concern if they’re not detected on time. Therefore, it’s crucial that you be prepared and able to detect any signs of mold growth. After all, your health and that of your family members is at stake.