Mold can grow on any wet building materials, including drywall and wood.
And once it starts growing, mold must be removed quickly and properly otherwise it can cause even greater structural damage, health hazards and increased repair costs.
How does water intrusion happen?
In some cases, water (from rain, sprinklers, snow, etc.) can accumulate near the foundation of the home and eventually leak through the walls, making its way into the home (basements) where it can provide the perfect conditions for mold growth.
Drywall, which is rich in cellulose, is the perfect food source for mold. And if the leak is not repaired, the water seeping in from the outside provides enough moisture to keep the mold growing continually.
You may even start to notice unpleasant odours before any mold growth actually becomes visible.
If left unaddressed, a mold problem can spread and cause extensive damage to your property as well as contaminate the air you breathe.
Luckily, a professional mold inspection conducted by a certified mold inspector can help detect potential water intrusion problems early on, saving you hundreds or even thousands of dollars in repair costs.