Water damage can be a huge nightmare for every homeowner whether it’s a small spill, a burst pipe, or a full flood. Even a minor amount of seeping water can do a vast amount of damage in a short period of time. If you and a professional are able to act quickly and effectively, damage can be minimized in your home and the majority of your possessions can be saved. Here are some tricks and tips on how to clean up water damage in your home.
- Do not enter any room or building if you are unsure or unaware of its condition. Immediately call a professional if the water damage hinders you from accessing any part of your home.
- If you are able to get inside safely, shut off all water to immediately stop the leakage and all power to avoid the possibility of electrocution.
- Water leakage carries hidden dangers that may not be immediately evident when you first begin to assess your situation. Learn about the 3 categories of water damage and assess how serious the damage may be.
- The best way to ensure your own and your family’s safety in a situation where there’s water damage is to call a professional. We will be able to give you a quick, clear, and accurate assessment of the restoration process, allowing you to get back to everyday life as quickly as possible.
Remove Loose Items/Possessions From The Room
- Pick up any boxes, paper, books, photos etc. from the affected area. If they are not valuable and are heavily damaged, throw them away. Make photocopies of important papers or pictures that are damp. Remember that mold can begin to grow on wet items within the first 24 hours after initial saturation.
- Haul wet rugs and furniture out of the room and into the sun or an open, shaded area like a backyard porch that’s covered to reduce inside moisture level.
- Begin to dry wet carpet as soon as possible using these wet carpet drying tips. Moisture left untreated can not only produce mold, but it can also cause irreversible damage to your floor.
Ventilate and Dehumidify
- If the total water damage is minimal and you decide to manage the clean up on your own, the first step you should take is getting as much fresh air as possible moving throughout the wet portions of your home.
- Ventilation is the most effective way to dry out a structure’s interior. Open windows, turn on fans, and bring box fans or air blowers into every room that’s been affected by water.
- Constant air flow throughout the house will significantly decrease the chances of mold growth in water-damaged areas. Do not attempt to dry any portion using heat. Heat promotes the growth of mold and other water-borne bacteria.
- Once you have all windows open and fans set up, get a dehumidifier running as quickly as possible. Dehumidifiers extract water and moisture from the air and are a very important necessity to cleaning up water damage.
- After the ventilation has begun, consider using a moisture meter to monitor the drying process. When all readings are back to normal and you are sure there’s no mold present below your floor/carpet or inside your walls, you can begin reconstructing the affected area.
If a spill or leakage appears small, you may be able to dry everything safely without any further damage. We encourage you to keep in mind that any incident involving water in the home can create dangerous levels of mold, mildew, and bacteria if left untreated or not taken care of properly. Professionals not only have the level of experience and knowledge needed to safely eliminate further damage from occurring, but they can also complete the job in a timely fashion, making sure you can get back to your normal life as soon as possible.
Flood Masters is here to help with your water damage needs in a fast, professional manner any time of the day. Save yourself the stress and headache of dealing with water damage clean up in your home and call one of our trained experts. We’re here for you 24/7.
Flood Masters provides prompt and professional water, fire, and mold damage restoration services, both residential and commercial, in San Diego, CA. Backed by more than 20 years of experience, Flood Masters responds quickly and expertly to save customers time and money, and to make sure they experience fewer hassles and less worry from start to finish.