At Mold Busters, we talk a lot about moisture because we want people to realize just how important moisture control is to preserving a healthy indoor environment.
Moisture can lead to major problems very quickly. Black mold, rotting of structural elements of the building and decreased indoor air quality can all occur within hours of a water intrusion, compromising your health, comfort and safety while, at the same time, causing costly damage and repairs.
The risk of leaks, moisture intrusion and flooding is especially high in areas that are below grade. That’s why it’s important to protect areas like your basement, crawlspace and cold room. Leaks are also very common in bathrooms and kitchens due to runny faucets, old pipes, clogged drains and poor ventilation.
And let’s not forget that moisture doesn’t always take the form of a liquid (i.e. water). In fact, humidity, steam and water vapour are all equally destructive forms of moisture, which often go undetected.
If you’re worried about a moisture issue in your home, don’t hesitate to get professional help. Contact Mold Busters–we’re certified flood restoration technicians and mold experts.
How to prevent major moisture problems
As of recently, Mold Busters has started offering an innovative new service that can help property owners monitor moisture levels, prevent flooding and avoid costly damage using their smartphone.
The SmartSense moisture kit is a small wireless sensor that measures relative humidity and lets you know when moisture levels are high. The device connects to your smartphone and sends you an instant alert when water is detected at abnormal levels. This allows you to act quickly and prevent minor leaks from becoming costly disasters.
The moisture sensors can be installed practically anywhere (i.e. in spots that are particularly vulnerable to moisture problems), allowing you to keep an eye on moisture levels even when you’re not at home.
We offer installation of these moisture sensors as an add-on to our mold remediation and water damage restoration services or as a service of its own. Call Mold Busters now if you’d like to get one for your home.
Practical tips for reducing moisture
In addition to installing the SmartSense moisture sensor in your home, there are a number of other things you can do in and around your home to control moisture. Here are some of the most practical solutions.
- Make sure vapour barriers are properly installed in your attic and basement.
- Make sure your windows and doors are properly sealed.
- Make sure that your home is properly insulated and that this insulation is correctly installed.
- Use a dehumidifier if relative humidity is above 50%.
- Use exhaust fans in the bathroom (when showering, washing, etc.) and in the kitchen (when cooking, washing, ironing, etc.).
- Fix foundation cracks, gaps and holes promptly.
- Clean your gutters and eavestroughs regularly.
- Make sure that rain water is being directed away from your house.
- Make sure your downspouts are working properly and are far enough away from your home.
- Check your roof for damage, missing shingles, broken seals, cracks, etc.
For more practical moisture prevention tips and tricks, consult with Mold Busters today!