Did you know that mold can cause disease in plants, animals and humans?
The truth is that mold affects people in different ways, depending on the species of mold, the amount, the degree of exposure and the overall health of the individual who’s exposed to it.
At Mold Busters, we are constantly reminding people that all mold – even dead mold – can have a negative impact on human health. Because mold spores are so small and can spread so easily, they can be easily inhaled by humans.
The health effects of mold exposure can be allergenic, pathogenic or toxigenic, with reactions ranging from mild allergies to neurological damage and respiratory disease.
All mold is allergenic. Although most people can deal with a little bit of mold, some people are born sensitive to it. These people suffer from allergenic reactions upon exposure to mold. Allergenic reactions are the most common symptoms associated with mold exposure and these symptoms range from mild to severe.
Pathogenic reactions to mold exposure can be divided into the following three categories:
A toxigenic mold is a mold capable of producing toxins. There are approximately 20 common toxins that have been found to be produced by mold. However, just because a mold is toxigenic does not mean that it is producing toxins at any given point in time.
However, ingesting these toxins increases your chances of becoming sick. Symptoms resulting from inhalation of toxins include mucous membrane irritation; skin rash; fever; nausea; fatigue; suppressed immune system; acute/chronic liver damage; acute/chronic central nervous system disorders; hormone disorders; and cancer.
Another serious condition associated with mold exposure is hypersensitive pneumonitis. This is an acute or chronic lung disease caused by the inhalation of fungal antigens.
There are three main ways that we can come into contact with mold: inhalation (breathing it in), dermal contact (touching it), and ingestion (eating or drinking it). Because mold spores are so small, they have the ability to get into our lungs, where they can cause anything from mild allergic reactions to serious respiratory conditions.
Most people can deal with a little bit of mold exposure without having a reaction because their bodies have become attuned to it. However, other people may be more sensitive to mold, either because of their genetic make-up or the current state of their health. People at an increased risk from mold exposure include individuals with compromised immune systems; infants and small children; the elderly; and asthmatics. It is important to remember that the potential for adverse health effects from mold exposure are uniquely individual since no two immune systems are alike.
If you’re concerned about the effect that mold might be having on you, call Mold Busters for professional advice on how to deal with mold.
Toll Free: 1-877-5NO MOLD / 1-877-566-6653