The average Canadian worker spends approximately 40 hours a week in his or her office, which is a significant amount of time when considered over the long term.
Chances are that when you go into work every day, the air quality inside your workplace is not the first and most important thing on your mind.
However, the truth is that indoor air quality directly impacts your health.
In fact, poor indoor air quality has been directly linked to sick building syndrome, a group of symptoms that includes coughing, sneezing, headaches, nasal congestion, as well as eye and throat irritation.
Ensure that your indoor environment is safe by getting periodic air quality testing for your home or office.
Mold and sick building syndrome
One of the most frequent threats to indoor air quality is mold, a common, pervasive and persistent problem. Luckily, There are several things that businesses can learn that will increase their awareness of potential air quality problems.
The first, rather unfortunate, fact is that mold can form anywhere there is moisture. If there’s been a leak or water’s been backed up in your office, you may be at greater risk of mold.
Even if the problem has been repaired, the moisture that remains creates ideal conditions for mold to grow.
Another fact that you should familiarize with is that mold thrives in damp conditions. If you have an area that’s holding moisture, it’s quite possibly a haven for mold growth. An air quality assessment will help identify the issue.
A final fact to consider is that stains on ceilings, floors and walls may indicate that somewhere within the building there is mold.
The area that’s contaminated could be as easy to fix as it is to replace a tile, but keep in mind that if there’s mold, there might be an even bigger problem behind it.
It’s best to hire an indoor air quality specialist to determine the source of the mold and to identify if the issue needs to be dealt with by way of removal or remediation.
At Mold Busters, we’re here to help you and your business or workplace with any mold-related problem you have.