Mold thrives and reproduces in damp places. Health experts say that the ideal breading grounds for mold are the insides of walls and ceilings, which are repeatedly exposed to moisture, usually from a roof or plumbing leak.
Understandably so, a concern for many people is how to know if they have mold in their house and what they should do about it.
Getting your house inspected by a professional mold inspector can uncover hidden, and often serious, moisture problems.
Signs and symptoms of a mold problem
According to many doctors, not all species of mold are the same, and different people respond to mold in different ways.
While some people may have no reaction to mold spores inside a home, those who are sensitive to mold can have allergic reactions ranging from mild to life-threatening.
People with asthma, allergies, lung problems and immune-system dysfunction tend to be more likely to experience problems upon exposure to mold.
One of the most prominent signs that you have mold in your house is if you experience symptoms that disappear when you’re away from your home. This specifically refers to allergic reactions, breathing problems, headaches and other such symptoms.
Also, if you notice a muggy, musty or earthy smell in one or all rooms of your house, you could very likely have a mold or a moisture problem.
With that said, air sampling can be used in combination with other techniques to detect mold. These other techniques include conducting visual inspections of your property, spotting moisture problems, and checking walls, ceilings and floors with a moisture metre.
Effective mold removal
To get rid of mold effectively, you need to open up the water-damaged area and remove and replace any drywall or insulation that’s water-damaged or contaminated with mold.
And while many people believe that washing a moldy surface with a cleaning solution or bleach will remove the mold, this does not work effectively on porous surfaces like drywall, wallpaper and wood.
This is because you can’t kill the mold spores that have penetrated deep beneath the surface – you simply get at the surface mold, and so, the mold will likely grow right back.
At Mold Busters, our main policy is to eliminate moisture problems in order to effectively treat mold problems. It’s the only way to guarantee long-lasting protection against toxic molds.
Some people use do-it-yourself home mold testing kits, but the reality is that a home kit gives you a simple yes or no answer – it cannot find the source of the mold, and that’s the most important part for effective mold removal.
Your best solution is to call a mold expert for a professional home inspection for mold.